Saturday, May 3, 2008

Healthful Food to Feed Writers' Minds

Spring Vegetable Chopped Salad
(photo by jjtasecky)

Since this is the weekend, I'm going to jump totally off topic and talk about.... FOOD! I have decided to share one of my all time favorite new blogs: Kath Eats Real Food. This blog is awesome! The author of this cheerful, nutritious blog is maintaining a 30+ pound weight loss. I'm sure you'll enjoy reading about her journey, nosing around her recipes, and seeing what kind of groceries she buys. One of my favorite posts is Banana Hot Dogs & Fries (not a traditional hot dog and fries, mind you!). Now, I don't eat traditional hot dogs anyway. I'm a vegetarian, so if I ever do splurge on a "hot dog", it's a veggie dog. Never heard of veggie dogs? Their delish! (Back on track... I haven't tried this super cool recipe yet, but when I do I'll let you know.)

Why am I so intrigued by this blog I discovered? Well, most of you already know I've lost over 100 pounds and anyone who has lost weight and maintained it, or who is trying to lose weight piques my interest. I know all too well what it's like to struggle with weight issues, always feeling like the fat girl, and being the biggest person at events. It's no fun! At least, I never felt like it was fun being overweight, ill, and not able to participate in a thing called... life. For anyone who is offended, I wasn't just a little chubby. I was literally morbidly obese and had a whole host of horrific health issues (and surgeries and medications) to go with it. At my highest, I was carrying nearly 300 pounds on my small, 5'2'' frame. Ugh. It was most definitely in my best interest and the interest of my loved ones, to get those pounds off.

Anyway, I love to read about weight loss, exercise, healthful recipes, and healthy lifestyles. I still have a few stubborn pounds to get off, but I've gone from busting out of a 3X--yes, like the Incredible Hulk! Remember that show? *snickers*--to enjoying a size 10 that is LOOSE!

Single digits, here I come!

Let's face it, if we're going to write productively, we need to eat--no, not just eat any ole thing that we can pop into the microwave or get at a fast food place or out of a vending machine. We need to make the best possible choice we can and choose nutrition over convenience as often as we can. Sure, there are times we just don't have time to whip up a salad or omelet or prepare steel cut oats or quinoa.

In those cases, here's a few tips that work for me.

  • Try a quick fruit smoothie. They really don't take long to prepare. Just pop some frozen fruit in the blender, add some powdered vitamins, a drizzle of honey, some water until it's the consistency you like, and perhaps even a spoonful or two of organic flax seeds (ground).
  • Keep small zip lock bags filled with salad, chopped veggies, and/or boiled (organic) eggs. On your way out the door, snatch one or two, pop them in a small cooler or eat right away.
Hopefully these tips will help you save time while making better choices. If you're the best you can be, your writing will be at its best too. Besides, if you eat well, you'll be energized, filled up, and feeling proud of yourself for being a health conscious individual. Oh, and don't forget to pick up some reusable shopping bags. We not only need to love our bodies, but the beautiful earth we're privileged to call home.

Have a great weekend, and remember: if you want to be successful writing the cyber highway, feed your body--not your sugar cravings. :-) Hey, you might even shed a few pounds! Imagine being the healthiest you can be so you can live longer, write longer, and enjoy all the amazing opportunities you'll happen upon....

Looking for work? Find writing and blogging gigs!




Grab my feed so you can travel the cyber highway with me, or subscribe by email.

AddThis Feed ButtonAddThis Social Bookmark Button


Go Green!